For years Rupert and Rowan shared the saddle together on a horse named Betsy. The story of Rowan opening to the outside world through Betsy is told in the bestselling book and award winning film “The Horse Boy“.
With Rowan’s success, Rupert started working with other children on the spectrum to see if what worked with Rowan and Betsy would work for them. While no method can ever be right for 100% of people Rupert found a sufficiently high percentage of children benefited-sometimes in astonishing ways.
The framework of techniques targets different challenges. Horse Boy™ and Movement Method are now being used worldwide. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity!
Who should attend this clinic?
- Anyone interested in the healing power of horses
- Parents, therapists and counselors that are supporting autistic people.
- Dressage Riders looking for a fresh and beautiful perspective on riding and horses
Important note: This workshop is hands on and intense. We cannot have you bring your child to the workshop. It is our organizational ethic that when a child is here – especially one that needs some support – we focus all our energy on the child. This workshop is to give you tools to help support those you love and care about – so this is our chance to focus on you.
• Introduction to Autism
• What our methods are. Why they are different?
• Necessary Equipment
• Sensory session with horses
• Collection – what it is and why it matters
• Intro to Back-riding training
• How to create the right environment for Horse Boy Method
• How to cope with children unwilling or afraid to ride
• Long-lines (working with young adults too large to back-ride)
• Rule based games / Perspective taking
• Academics on horseback: how to use the dressage arena and round pen for math, biology, geography and more!
• How to work with the entire family
• Basic trick work. Learning the aids, and demo of how tricks are used for communication
When: April 1&2, 2019 10am to 3pm
Where: Green Acres – 300 16th Street, Montara, CA
Riders $675 Non Riders: $340. UPDATE: We’ve been approved to offer the following discount: $495 for Riders and $325 for non riders